Safety How to Keep Seniors Safe During Severe Weather
The last few years in America have shown us more unpredictable weather patterns than are becoming increasingly dangerous. If you have a senior loved one living in an area prone to natural disasters, be prepared and have a plan to follow at any given time to move them to safety during an emergency.
If your senior lives in a hurricane-prone area…
You will have a little bit of time to prepare with them and help them make a decision to stay in their home or evacuate to a safer location.
- If your senior is evacuating, help them make travel plans that move them quickly and safely.
- If your senior is going to stay in their home, make sure they are well-stocked on supplies such as medications and vitamins, bottled water, batteries and flashlights, non-perishable food items, and any pet food if necessary.
If your senior lives in a wildfire-prone area…
You won’t have much time at all to come up with a plan, so it is best to already have a plan laid out to put into action at any time.
- Know their community’s plans for evacuation and follow them.
- Be aware of several alternative routes to evacuate the area safely if the fire is close.
- Have an emergency to-go bag prepared in a known location with items like N95 respirator masks, non-perishable food items, water, vitamins and medications, and any documents needed from the home.
- Include your senior’s pets in the plan, too!
If your senior lives in a tornado-prone area…
They will need to have a plan to get to safety immediately due to how quickly tornadoes can come and go.
- Help them decide if it is best to stay in their home or move to a nearby shelter during a tornado.
- If they are staying in their home, make sure they know where to find safety, like in a basement, storm cellar, or an interior room with no windows.
- If they miss a tornado warning, teach them how to identify a tornado by sight and sound.
For more guidelines and tips on getting your senior loved one to safety during an emergency, HouseWorks is here for you. Call our experts today to schedule your consultation.