Aging How to Help Your Senior Plan for the New Year
While we welcome in the new year, now is the perfect time to reflect on the past year with your senior loved one. In 2021, consider setting goals that focus on improving your senior’s overall health physically, emotionally, and mentally. Making your senior’s wellness goals a priority will ensure that their desires and list of intentions will not get swept under the rug in the new year. Here are five things that will help you plan to improve your senior’s quality of life and add longevity to their existing routines.
- Eat a healthier diet. Malnutrition is a common problem for seniors. Encourage your senior to eat more regularly, and focus on getting healthy servings of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Make new friends. While it may currently be a challenge to meet new friends in-person, there are plenty of ways to make new friends virtually! Local museums, churches and communities offer virtual events where your senior will be able to meet some new friends. There is no shortage of ways for seniors to make new friends and form valuable social connections to help older adults live healthier lives and have an improved outlook on life.
- Keep the mind active. Staying sharp-minded is a high priority for many older adults. There are many ways to help give seniors’ brains a workout. Try something new by using the latest technology or stick with classics like working on arts and crafts projects or completing jigsaw puzzles and crossword books. Whichever option you choose, your senior’s mind will be staying active!
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep is crucial for seniors. If your senior family member is having trouble sleeping, this year could be a great chance to adopt some new habits or consult with a specialist to get to the bottom of their sleeping challenges.
- See a provider regularly. Your senior should schedule an annual wellness visit with their healthcare provider around their birthday month to discuss health screenings and any changes.
Creating goals for the new year is a way to start the year fresh with new habits and look forward to positive changes in our lives. The challenge is instead not making the goals but implementing them as a regular lifestyle change! If you would like further guidance and advice on creating a plan to make 2021 the best year yet for senior loved one, please give our experts here at HouseWorks a call to schedule your consultation.